SUSTAINABLE CULTURE TRIP — BY TRAIN AND BIKE
Duration: 6 days
Season: May – Sep
TIP: Extend your stay in each destination, if you wish. Remember to book a separate bicycle ticket (Intercity trains: 5 €, commuter trains: free of charge).
Train timetables: VR
DAY 1: Lake Tuusula
Cultural History & Cycling
- Take your bicycle or rent one and hop on the commuter train R from Helsinki to Järvenpää (ca 30 min).
- Cycle your way from the railway station to the exciting Lake Tuusula, where you will find the ateliers and homes for many cultural figures in Finnish history.
- The route around the lake is 26 km. Make the whole circle or just part of it. Stay overnight in a unique accommodation.
DAY 2: Tampere
Urban Nature & Culture
- Continue your journey by the commuter train R to Tampere (ca 1h 40 min).
- Enjoy the urban nature and culture of Tampere, taste some local delicacies and find a perfect basecamp for the night. Are you ready to try a public sauna in the official Sauna Capital?
DAY 3: Art Town Mänttä
Art & Culinary Pleasures
- Take a train to Vilppula (1 hour). Cycle your way (6 km) to the Art Town Mänttä and Serlachius Museums.
- Visit the exciting Serlachius Museum Gösta and admire the awarded architecture, eat lunch at the top restaurant, enjoy the art exhibitions and surroundings.
- In the evening check in at the local hotel, for example: Art Hotel Honkahovi, Mänttä Club or Hotel Alexander.
DAY 4: Art Town Mänttä
Stories & Nature
- After a delicious breakfast, visit Serlachius Museum Gustaf in the town center, a museum full of interesting stories! If you are still hungry for art after yesterday, take a turn in the annual Mänttä Art Festival (mid-Jun – Aug).
- Take some snack with you and cycle to the top of the hill Mäntänvuori!
- In the evening you can enjoy the hotel’s sauna and perhaps dip in the lake, if you dare…
DAY 5: Lempäälä
Chocolate and Cycling
- It is time to head towards south again! Take a morning train from Vilppula to Tampere and then off you go and cycle!
- After 12 km of sporting, you reach Dammenberg Chocolate Factory and Outlet. Too good to be true!
- Still 15 km of cycling and you will reach Vaihmalan Hovi – a boutique hotel and restaurant in Lempäälä. Sweet dreams after a real sporting day!
- P.S. If you don’t feel like cycling so much, take the train directly to Lempäälä. No cycling – no chocolate!
DAY 6: Iittala
Design & History
- The commuter train R from Lempäälä (station at 3 km distance) will take you to Iittala in 20 minutes! This small town is the birthplace for the world-famous Finnish Iittala glass products.
- Enjoy your day at the Iittala glass village, marvel at the real-time glass production, visit the museum, outlet and other exciting places.
- In the evening the commuter train R takes you back to Helsinki (ca 1h 40min).
What a wonderful and sustainable trip you had!
Got interested? Ask more and book:
tel. +358 40 166 3480 or email@example.com
SUSTAINABLE TRIP BY BICYCLE
Why not enjoying the beautiful Lakeland sceneries while cycling towards the Art Town Mänttä and Serlachius Museums! There are many good trails with interesting stop byes and places to include in your itinerary, starting from Tampere.
Check out the cycle trails from Näsi Lake Trail.
Mänttä and Serlachius are in the Tales & History -part.
Sustainable Travel Tips in Finland
Find out important sustainable tips while traveling in Finland!