Serlachius museot

Feel free to
come farther

+358 (0)3 488 6800 | Gustaf, R. Erik. Serlachiuksen katu 2 | Gösta, Joenniementie 47 | Mänttä

Open summertime 1 June–31 August daily 10am–6pm.

Sulje

+358 (0)3 488 6800 | Gustaf, R. Erik. Serlachiuksen katu 2 | Gösta, Joenniementie 47 | Mänttä

Open
summertime 1 June–31 August daily 10am–6pm
wintertime 1 September–31 May Tue–Sun 11am–6pm
Closed 6 Dec, 24–25 Dec, 31 Dec, 25 Mar and 30 Apr

Feel free to
come farther

Pearl of the Month

The Serlachiuses first built an imposing stone cowshed in 1927 along with the estate manager’s house and other outbuildings. The plans for the cowshed had been commissioned from a well-known Finnish architect W. G. Palmqvist.

See the artwork in bigger size

  • Navetta-pikku_2.jpg

August 2014

The Cowshed at Joenniemi


Gösta Serlachius and his wife Ruth shared a common interest in the development of the manor. Joenniemi had wide fields and diverse livestock. The Serlachiuses first built an imposing stone cowshed in 1927 along with the estate manager’s house and other outbuildings. The plans for the cowshed had been commissioned from a well-known Finnish architect W. G. Palmqvist. 

According to the blueprints, the size of the entity of a cowshed and a horse stable was 26 metres x 13 metres.  Under its roof were 20 stalls for cows along with four stalls and two boxes for horses.  The pigsty had three stalls. The stableman’s dwelling and a carriage house were located in the eastern wing of the building. In addition to the stableman, the manor’s agricultural operations employed at least an estate manager, a gardener, orchard workers and a dairymaid.

Joenniemi Manor with its cowshed was, in fact, an important breeding centre of Western Finncattle. Its cattle were presented at agricultural shows and young cattle were also sold to other farms. Therefore, it was not uncommon for the proud owner of the estate to first show the best breeding bull of Joenniemi cowshed before other business affairs were discussed. The cowshed was demolished as redundant in the 1970s.

The Joenniemi estate had been established in 1918 on the site of Joenniemi croft belonging to the Koskela estate. The aim was to develop a manor-like habitat for Gösta Serlachius and Mrs Ruth Serlachius.

A university graduate of Zootechnic and Agricultural economics, Ruth Serlachius focused especially on the breeding of livestock and farming. From 1927 on, Joenniemi manor was a well-known model farm introducing new agricultural methods and varieties for the farmers of the locality as well as participants of field trips organised from other parts of Finland.  An orchard that became known for its apple trees was established. The purpose was to make the farmers of the locality to purchase their berry bushes and fruit and ornamental trees at Joenniemi.

Tarja Haikara
Planning Officer